Interested candidates should submit a resume and 3 professional references to Stonebrook via email at email@example.com
– Behavior Specialist/Special Ed Teacher
Behavior Specialist /Special Ed Teacher (Moderate-Severe) Job Description
TITLE: Behavior Specialist/Special Ed Teacher (Moderate-Severe)
- Educator License – Intervention Specialist (K-12) Moderate-Severe Behavior
- Minimum of 3 years of experience as certified Special Education teacher
- A growth mindset and ability to use feedback to create and refine practice
- Successful experience working in a collaborative environment
- Montessori training
- Experience working with diverse communities
- Experience accelerating student learning and achievement in low-income communities
REPORTS TO: Principal
ROLE: Stonebrook Montessori is seeking a dynamic and visionary Special Education teacher who will engage students, families, and other members of our learning community to guide student success. This role will work closely with other professionals on the Student Support Team to ensure the quality of special education instructional programs and to act as a resource in the areas of teacher support, federal accountability, and classroom support to students with disabilities. S/he will work primarily with a small grouping of students in a small classroom setting and develop interventions to increase progress toward IEP goals, classroom inclusion, and healthy interactions within the school community. This role will also be able to provide behavior training and consultation to parents and school personnel to enhance the success of students in the educational environment. S/he engages community partners and families in serving the whole child and ensuring all children are guided to achieve at high levels and become prepared to succeed in any setting. S/he will know how to successfully work in an urban elementary school with a low-income population, including students who have experienced trauma.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Data Driven Planning and Assessment
- Lead and observe students in their educational environment, analyze existing data and conduct preference assessments to increase student success.
- Facilitate data collection with educational teams to monitor student progress.
- Help identify and assess behavioral difficulties of children that interfere with their attendance, adjustment, academics and achievement in school.
- Establish a culture of high expectations that includes the shared belief that ALL children can achieve at high levels and are prepared to succeed in any setting
- Monitor students’ behavior/activities in a variety of educational environments (e.g. classroom, playground, field trips, etc.) for the purpose of providing a safe and positive learning environment
- Demonstrate respect and understanding of students and families from diverse backgrounds
- Assist in the creation of a learning environment that is conducive of all learning styles and preferences
- Model implementation of behavior programs/strategies in the school environment.
- Collaborate with other team educators to develop behavior intervention plans for students experiencing behavioral concerns throughout the school environment.
- Provide follow up consultation to analyze success of behavior plans and assist with modifications as needed.
- Facilitate transitions to provide support, modifications and adaptations to support success.
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities while meeting accepted standards of professional behavior.
- Consult and collaborate with other school personnel in gathering and giving information on a student and in establishing and planning for respective roles in the modification of the student’s behavior.
- Consult and collaborate with appropriate school personnel regarding the referral of students for prevention and intervention strategies as well as for the referral of students to school district, special education cooperative and various out-of-school agencies as necessary.
- Provide consultation for IEP teams to support student placement in the least restrictive environment.
- Provide consultation in the development and implementation of classroom management programs tailored to student behavioral needs/plans.
- Provide educational training to parents on behavior modification/management techniques.
- Provide training to school personnel in the Special Education environment to help facilitate social-emotional and behavioral progress with students.
- Conduct in-service training for school staff. Competency in Methods and Practice
Partnerships, Family, and Community
- Communicates effectively, verbally and in writing with members of the IEP team, building administration and staff, and Cooperative administrative staff.
- Organizes time, energy and workload in order to meet responsibilities and complete assignments with due consideration for the priorities among the various responsibilities.
- Participates in team meetings and IEP conferences including pre-referral interventions, placements, IEP’s and annual reviews.
- Establish relationships with parents to provide information and support for student transitions to the least restrictive environment.
- Strives to improve professional expertise in area of specialization.
- Establishes and maintains open, positive lines of communication with students and their parents concerning behavior.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities We are looking for Special Education Teachers who are highly effective in each of the following areas:
Data Driven Planning and Assessment
- Work with Principal and Special Education Supervisor to develop action plans for constant learning and growth
- Work with General Education staff to identify areas of need for students and appropriate targeted instruction
- Assess student data and progress towards objectives, expectations, and/or goals (e.g. behavioral, motor development and communication skills, academic needs, vocational abilities, etc.) for the purpose of improving program effectiveness
- Administer developmental testing programs, subject specific assessments, etc. for the purpose of assessing student competency levels and/or developing individual learning plans
- Supervise the implementation of state assessments for special education students
- Adapt classroom work for the purpose of providing students with instructional materials that address individualized learning plans within established lesson plans
- Support classroom teachers for the purpose of assisting them in the implementation of established curriculum and/or individual student plans.
- Modify the general education curriculum for students with disabilities based upon a variety of instructional techniques and technologies.
- Monitors student progress on ongoing basis and adjust supports as needed
- Direct Student Support Assistants for the purpose of providing an effective classroom program and addressing the needs of individual students.
- Administer, under supervision, first aid and assistance to medically fragile children (e.g. toileting, diapering, etc.) as needed in rare instances.
- Participate in and/or coordinates a variety of meetings (e.g. Professional Learning Community, IEP, Grade Level) for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions.
- Prepare a variety of written materials (e.g. grades, attendance, anecdotal records, etc.) for the purpose of documenting student progress and meeting mandated requirements.
- Assist in planning and delivering professional development and learning experiences to teachers and school site staff
- Actively seek and participate in professional development opportunities to remain current with federal and state special education guidelines